Fake Anti-Gay Attack – level 3
An African-American, openly gay actor named Jussie Smollett staged a fake homophobic attack on himself to make himself more popular, Chicago police said.
The show business drama began when the 36-year-old said that two men attacked him in Chicago on the 29th of January. He said that the men shouted racist and homophobic slurs, tied a rope around his neck and poured chemicals on him.
The attack shocked the public, celebrity friends and even US senators, and everyone came to the actor’s defence. However, the police soon found inconsistencies in Smollett’s story and their work changed.
The men who attacked him said that they were paid by the actor, and the police concluded that the actor staged the attack. Now he is in trouble, and he could go to prison for up to three years.
Difficult words: stage (organise something to happen), slur (saying something which make the person feel very bad), inconsistency (when things are inconsistent, they do not make sense and the story cannot be true).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos