Fake chocolate – level 2
Only a few companies dominate the cacao and chocolate markets, and for the last 60 years, these companies supported deforestation and child labor.
West Africa creates over 70% of the world’s chocolate. People can only grow cacao near the equator, and climate change is changing how people can grow cacao.
Company WNWN Food Labs wants to make chocolate from only local or regional ingredients. The process uses barley or legumes instead of cocoa beans, but the final product looks and tastes like real chocolate. The company wants to make customers aware of problems in the chocolate industry, and it wants to focus on coffee, tea, and vanilla, too.
Difficult words: dominate (to control or have power over someone or something), deforestation (cut and remove trees in large areas), child labor (the illegal work of children), legume (peas, beans, and similar seeds).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.