Fake chocolate – level 3
For thousands of years, chocolate has attracted humans. However, its production links to widespread deforestation, slave labor, and child labor.
Five to ten companies dominate 90% of the cacao and chocolate markets, and for the last 60 years, these companies supported these malpractices.
WNWN Food Labs is a company with a mission to create an ethical version of chocolate, and it makes surprisingly tasty imitation treats. The company wants to accelerate change, raise consumer awareness, and recognize that mass-market chocolate doesn’t need cocoa, and alternative ingredients can taste even better. Instead of cacao beans, the process uses other plant-based matter, for example, barley or legumes. These ingredients are fermented, roasted, mixed with some powders, liquids, and sugar to get a substance very similar to conventional chocolate.
WNWN wants to create a sustainable version of chocolate that tastes the same but uses local and regional ingredients and producers. The company wants to focus on other ingredients like coffee, tea, and vanilla, too.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.