Fake cocaine – level 1
Last year, the US Coast Guard take out packages of cocaine from the sea near Ecuador. Nearly three tons of cocaine are inside. So much cocaine costs 700 million dollars. It is half of the amount which people in Australia consume in one year.
Australian police and US authorities want to break an international drug ring. They have a plan for how to do it. They use fake cocaine. Officers make packages that look exactly like the packages with cocaine. But fake cocaine is inside. They drop the packages in the ocean.
Australian police arrest 12 people. Three of the men make trips through the sea. They want to find the packages. They do not know that fake cocaine is inside.
Difficult words: coast guard (people who are responsible for the safety at sea), drug ring (a group of people who belong to a drug business), fake (not real).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think are the ethics of using fake cocaine in this situation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos