Fake cocaine – level 2
Off the coast of Ecuador, the US Coast Guard took out packages with nearly three tons of cocaine.
According to officials, such an amount was about half of Australia’s consumption of cocaine in one year. Australian police worked with US authorities to break an international drug ring. Last week, Australian police announced that they used fake cocaine, and they were successful. They arrested 12 people and seized a large amount of cash.
Police released information about how they did it. Officers made packages that looked exactly like the packages with real cocaine. They dropped 1.2 tons of fake cocaine into the ocean 40 miles off the coast. They then waited for someone to search the sea and collect the packages.
Difficult words: consumption (the amount of something that people use), drug ring (an organized group of people who are part of the drug business), seize (to take hold of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What strategies could international law enforcement organizations use to further disrupt drug trafficking efforts?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos