Fake cocaine – level 3
Australian police released details of a joint operation with US authorities to bust an international drug ring.
Australian police got information that approximately 2.4 tons of cocaine worth nearly 700 million dollars were going to be distributed throughout the country. Just off the coast of Ecuador, the US Coast Guard took out packages equaling nearly three tons of cocaine. The police used the quantity 2.4 because that was the estimate of the actual cocaine once the packaging was taken away. That amount of cocaine was equivalent to roughly half of Australia’s estimated annual consumption.
Over several weeks, officers reconstructed identical packages, and they dropped 1.2 tons of the drug into the ocean 40 miles off the coast. Three suspects were arrested in December with the fake cocaine. They had allegedly made three trips through the rough sea to collect the packages. A further nine arrests have been made and a large quantity of cash seized.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What other techniques do police use to bust international drug rings?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.