Fake leopard escapes – Level 2
Police, emergency workers, and 70 workers at a zoo in Japan prepared for the event of an animal escape. This can happen during a natural disaster.
A staff member wore a snow leopard costume and pretended to escape from his cage. At the same time, other workers prepared to catch him. They used nets, poles, and tranquiliser darts.
The snow leopard pushed over one of the workers, but then someone pretended to shoot him with a tranquiliser dart. The workers then caught the fake leopard.
Difficult words: escape (to get free), pretend (to act like something is true when it is not true), tranquiliser dart (a sharp object with a drug inside of it to make an animal go to sleep).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the zoo’s drill?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.