Fake leopard escapes – Level 3
Just to be on the safe side, a zoo in Japan has made sure it’s well-prepared to deal with the event of an animal escaping. On Tuesday the Tama Zoo, on the outskirts of Tokyo, dressed up a member of staff as a snow leopard, pretending it had escaped its enclosure. Meanwhile, other members of staff set up nets, poles, and tranquiliser darts ready for the escape.
The zoo said the drill was designed to simulate animals escaping after a disaster like an earthquake. The drill saw the staff member in costume fast knocking over another zoo worker and then hit by a fake tranquiliser dart.
A total of 70 members of staff took part in the exercise, as well as police and local emergency workers, who finally apprehended the leopard on the loose.
Difficult words: be on the safe side (not to be in danger), outskirt (not the city centre), enclosure (an area for an animal to live inside), tranquiliser dart (a sharp object with a sleeping drug inside of it), drill (an exercise), simulate (to prepare for), disaster (a very bad event), apprehend (to catch), on the loose (free).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.