Fake News and the 1918 Flu – level 1
It is the year 1918. The world is at war. It is World War I. There is another problem. A flu hits many countries in the world.
The US wants to win the war. It is not a good idea to give people information about the flu. Men and boys must fight. They must think only about the war.
The US government makes a special law. The law has an impact on journalist. If journalists write bad things about the US government, they can go to prison. Journalists do not want to go to prison. They write about the war. They do not write about the flu.
The flu is deadly. People can die quickly. People do not have information about the flu. Many people become ill. Around 675,000 Americans die from the flu.
Difficult words: flu (a disease that is similar to a cold, but it is more serious and people can die from it), impact (when you do something and it changes something else, too), deadly (something that kills people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.