Fake News and the Dictionary – level 1
Donald Trump speaks a lot about ‘fake news’. He says that the media has its own plans. It spreads fake news.
Trump says that he is the inventor of the term ‘fake news’. Collins Dictionary says something else. It says that ‘fake news’ was on TV in the 1990s.
The dictionary says that ‘fake news’ is exciting information that looks like news reporting. The dictionary names ‘fake news’ as the word of the year.
Difficult words: media (TV, radio, and the Internet), spread (show on TV, the Internet, etc.), term (a word or a saying).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos