Farmers harvest opium – level 2
This year, Taliban made a stricter law about drugs not to grow the poppy for opium. Taliban also stopped trade and selling of wine, heroin, cannabis and other drugs.
Farmers in the Afghan province of Helmand ignored the law, and last week, they harvested opium. Helmand is a place where many farmers come every year to harvest opium. First, they make small cuts on part of the poppy that is a pod. The next day, they collect the juice, which comes from the pod. Opium is a very powerful drug from the dried juice.
Farmers harvest opium for 15 days, and they get six dollars for one day of work. Afghanistan makes the most opium in the world, and the opium makes 11% of the country’s business.
Difficult words: poppy (a plant with large red flowers and small black seeds), ignore (to not notice something on purpose), harvest (to collect).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos