Fashion Faux Pas – level 1
Sometimes, fashion brands make mistakes. They make clothes which offend some people.
Zara is a fashion brand. In 2014, Zara makes a T-shirt. It has stripes and a star. It looks like the Star of David. The T-shirt looks like clothing from a Nazi concentration camp.
People see the design. They criticise it on the Internet. The brand says that it is sorry.
H&M is another fashion brand. Last year, H&M shows a photo of a sweatshirt. A model wears it. The model is a black child. The text on the sweatshirt says, ‘Coolest monkey in the jungle’.
Now, fashion brands Gucci and Adidas are criticised. Gucci makes a jumper. Some people think that it is racist.
Adidas makes white shoes. These shoes are to celebrate Black History Month.
Difficult words: brand (the name of the maker of something: H&M, Zara, Gucci, Adidas), offend (make somebody feel upset, angry or sad), the Star of David (the Star of David is the symbol for the Jewish religion), monkey (a very rude word for a black person in some countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos