Fashion Faux Pas – level 2
People criticised Gucci and Adidas for the designs of new products.
For Gucci, a black balaclava jumper was the centre of the storm. The bright red lips on it looked like blackface which was a form of make-up used to stereotype black people. It dates back over 200 years. People criticised Adidas on Twitter for a white pair of shoes made to celebrate Black History Month.
This is not the first time that the Internet criticised a brand for its poor choice of design. Last year, H&M had to take down a picture of a black child. He was wearing a sweatshirt that said, ‘Coolest monkey in the jungle’.
Back in 2014, Zara made a striped T-shirt with what looked like the Star of David on it. It looked like clothing worn by Jews in Nazi concentration camps.
Difficult words: balaclava (a thing that you wear which covers your face or only some part of it), brand (the name of the maker of something: H&M, Zara, Gucci, Adidas), striped (with stripes – zebras have black and white stripes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.