Fashion Faux Pas – level 3
Gucci and Adidas have come under fire for what people think were racist designs.
For Gucci, a black balaclava jumper was the centre of the storm because the bright red lips looked like blackface which was a form of make-up used to stereotype black people dating back over 200 years.
In Adidas’s case, Twitter was ablaze with criticism over a white pair of shoes made to celebrate Black History Month.
This is not the first time that the Internet criticised a brand for its poor choice of design. Last year, H&M removed a picture of a black child wearing a hoodie that said: ‘Coolest monkey in the jungle’.
Back in 2014, Zara made a striped T-shirt with what looked like the Star of David on it. It looked like clothing worn by Jews in Nazi concentration camps. Zara apologised for not knowing history and said that it wanted to recreate a sheriff’s star.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.