Fashion Industry – level 3
The fashion industry is one of the worst polluters in the world.
The industry is responsible for 20% of the world´s wastewater and 10% of carbon emissions, which is more than all international flights and maritime shipping combined. It takes around 7,500 liters to make a typical pair of jeans, while the equivalent of one garbage truck of textiles is sent to landfills or burned every second.
However, the industry is changing, and it has set goals to be more eco-friendly. Big clothing brands have begun to respond to customers´ demand for more sustainable products, and they have promised to use 100% sustainable or recyclable fabrics in their clothes.
At the same time, there are many startup brands that focus on a smaller group of customers who care about the environment and they are willing to pay for it. These companies use innovative technologies; for example, they make clothes from fermented agricultural waste.
Difficult words: equivalent (equal in value or amount), textile (a material or fabric that people use to make things like clothing or blankets), sustainable (causing little or no damage to the environment and therefore able to continue for a long time), fermented (when something changes chemically with the help of bacteria).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.