Fast car in Indianapolis – level 3
A high speed chase across two states in downtown Indianapolis in the US on Thursday.
It started just before 9 am when a man driving a stolen SUV refused to stop for Illinois police along interstate 70. He reaches speeds of more than 100 mph (160 kph).
The chase continued west, when it reached downtown Indianapolis. The car crashed into another vehicle at an intersection. The driver of that car and a nearby cyclist were treated for minor injuries.
The footage clearly shows the male suspect attempting to escape his car, as he runs into a parking garage. He was later arrested by police on the third floor. The suspect faces multiple felony charges, including resisting law enforcement with a motor vehicle, causing injury, possession of a stolen vehicle, leaving the scene of a personal injury crash, criminal recklessness with a motor vehicle and felony battery by bodily waste for spitting on a police officer.
Difficult words: downtown (city centre), intersection (where two roads cross each other), felony (serious crime), resisting law enforcement (not doing what the police told him), criminal recklessness (doing something illegal), felony battery (touching somebody).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.