Fast plane goes down – level 3
Turkish armed forces have taken down a Syrian plane that they believed was violating their airspace.
A video posted online appears to show the aftermath of the downed plane with plumes of white smoke rising behind Mound Turkman in Lattakia.
The Turkish Prime Minister told supporters at a rally that the country’s forces had taken down the plane.
“A Syrian plane violated our airspace. Our F-16s took off and hit this plane. Why? Because if you violate my airspace, our slap will be hard.”
Syria’s condemned the move, calling it “blatant aggression” and said their jet was pursuing rebel fighters on Syrian territory. The pilot survived, as he managed to eject before the plane crashed.
Difficult words: take down (shoot down), violate (do something against a law), aftermath (time right after a disaster), plume (cloud), rally (large public meeting), condemn (disapprove), blatant (done openly), pursue (chase).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos