Fat Thursday – level 1
Fat Thursday is a tradition in some countries. It is on the last Thursday before Lent. Lent is a forty-day period of fasting before Easter.
People in Poland make special doughnuts on Fat Thursday. These doughnuts are different from other doughnuts. People fry them in oil only for a short time. The oil does not get inside. The prices of ingredients go up by almost 30% since last year. It means that doughnuts are more expensive. But people still buy them. It is a tradition in Poland.
In the past, doughnuts taste like bread. People put pork fat inside. In the 17th century, people start making sweet doughnuts, too.
Difficult words: fast (not to eat or drink for some time), ingredient (one of the things which are in a meal), tradition (something that people do for a long time without change).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the tradition in Poland on Fat Thursday?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos