Fence Between USA and Mexico – level 3
American officials came together to talk about the start of the $73-million project along the US-Mexico border – building a fence.
The structure looks like a heavy-duty fence, but the US officials call it a ballard wall, as Trump had promised to build a wall.
The chief of the local border patrol said that the wall would be in some places 9 metres high, durable, long-lasting, hard to get over, hard to get through, and hard to get underneath. The current fence, which is mesh, is easy to break through, easy to climb over and expensive and time-consuming for patrol to repair.
At the top of the new fence, there is going to be 1.5-metre anti-scaling plate, so even if somebody gets to the top, it will be very hard for him or her to get over.
Difficult words: official (a person who works for the government), heavy-duty (well built, strong), border patrol (a type of police which stops people from illegally getting from one country to another, durable (tough), mesh (a material made of wire).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos