Ferry accident in Bangladesh – level 3
At least 70 people have died in a ferry accident in Bangladesh. The ferry, which reportedly had up to 150 people on board, collided with a cargo boat crossing the Padma River and capsized on Sunday. Many of those who drowned, including women and children, were on the ferry’s lower decks.
Rescuers from the Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority and the Red Cross managed to save at least 50 passengers and worked through the night, recovering bodies from the water.
Police have seized the trawler and arrested the captain and his two crew.
Accidents are common on Bangladesh’s river network with overcrowding and poor boat quality often to blame.
Difficult words: reportedly (some people say so), collide (to hit), cargo boat (a boat which transports things), capsize (to overturn in water), drown (to die in water), deck (the floor on the outside of the ship), seize (to take), trawler (a fishing boat), crew (people who work on a ship).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos