Ferry on fire – level 3
This footage uploaded to social media shows a ferry burning on its journey between Mallorca and Valencia on Tuesday. The ferry carrying 156 people was captured ablaze by a transport worker who filmed the boat from another ferry close by. Dark smoke can be seen pouring from the windows and flames can be seen in the centre of the boat.
Emergency services have rescued all 156 people on board. The evacuation took place about an hour after the ferry left Mallorca. Operator Acciona says in a statement on Tuesday that the cause of the fire was yet to be established.
Although the captain did not initially want to evacuate the ferry, passengers and crew eventually left the burning vessel in life boats.
Difficult words: footage (a video), capture (a film), ablaze (on fire), pour (to get out), establish (to set), initially (in the beginning), crew (people who work on a ship), vessel (a ship).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.