Ferry on fire – level 3
A fire engulfed a ferry on Friday as it sailed from Greece to Italy.
239 passengers and 51 crew members were on board the ferry when the fire started. Rescue vessels took most of the people to the Greek island of Corfu where ambulances were already waiting. Meanwhile, firefighters were still battling to rescue people who were trapped in the ship’s garage, and eight people were missing.
The ferry carried 153 vehicles, and many of them were trucks. One of the drivers said that the cars had been the worst thing, because they were standing too close next to each other, and there was no escape route. Witnesses said that the flames were very high, and they could see them from many kilometers away. According to the passengers, the fire was so big and wide that it became unmanageable quickly.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.