Ferry sinks in Bangladesh – level 3
A ferry with about 200 passengers on board has capsized in Bangladesh with half of those still missing.
The boat went down in Padma River southwest of the capital
after strong winds and currents tipped it over.
While rescue teams have been able to save about 100 passengers, of those, two women were taken to hospital and later died.
The remainder of those on board are still unaccounted for. Officials believe they may have swam to the riverbank but one of the survivors said that many couldn’t make it.
Teams from the inland water transport authority, fire brigade and the army are helping to search for those missing, as well as the boat, which hasn’t been found.
Bangladesh is notorious for ferry accident, as it has extensive inland waterways and little in the way of safety standards.
Difficult words: capsize (turn over in the water), current (continuous movement of water), remainder (the rest), unaccounted for (somebody unaccounted for cannot be found), notorious (well-known), extensive (large).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos