Festival in Malta – level 1
In Malta, people hold Gostra Festival. They hold it every year. Part of the festival is a competition. It is special.
For this competition, you need a piece of wood. This piece must be 10 metres long. Then, you put grease on the pole. People move the pole onto a boat. The pole starts on the boat. Then it goes up and ends in in the air. There are flags at the end of the pole.
People run up the pole. They must take one flag. This is not easy. Many people fall into the water.
Difficult words: hold (to be organised, happen), competition (a situation when you try to do something; to be better than others), grease (animal fat used in cooking), pole (a long piece of wood).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to try to climb these poles?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.