Festival of the Sun – level 1
“Inti Raymi” is a ceremony. It is an old Incan ceremony. Every year, people celebrate it in Peru. It is very important.
Inti is the Incan god of the sun. “Inti Raymi” is the Festival of the Sun. The festival celebrates the winter solstice. This year, around 50,000 people come to the ceremony.
One part of the ceremony is quite dramatic. People kill a llama. They pull its heart out. Then, they put the heart in a fire.
Difficult words: ceremony (a special event), winter solstice (the shortest day of the year in the southern hemisphere – the bottom part of the planet), dramatic (very interesting, little shocking).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What ceremonies do you celebrate in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.