Festival of the Sun – level 3
Tens of thousands turned out to celebrate the ancient Incan Festival of the Sun which marks the winter solstice. Some 50,000 trekked to Cszo for the ceremony in Peru known as the Inti Raymi.
The festival is a celebration of the Sun and the actor Nirvado Carrillo played an Incan leader for the grand entrance. He pours the ancient Incan corn drink over the ground from a ceremonial urn as an offering to Mother Earth.
The ceremony reaches its climax with the sacrifice of a llama to the Sun God Inti.
Priests pulled out the animal’s heart and placed it in a fire as part of the ritual.
Inti Raymi is known as the most important of Incan ceremonies. The annual reenactment has been taking place there since 1944.
Difficult words: winter solstice (the shortest day of the year), urn (a bowl), climax (the most intense point), annual (happening every year).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.