Fidel Castro Turns 90 – level 3
Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro making a rare public appearance this weekend as events were held to celebrate his 90th birthday. The revolutionary leader attended a televised gala at Havana’s Karl Marx theater alongside his brother President Raul Castro and Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. Despite handing over power to his younger brother in 2008, Castro is still held in high regard by many Cubans who were delighted to see him enjoying the festivities.
“I see him as animated, this Cuban said. He was speaking with everyone and seemed very happy. Recently, they haven’t put him on television because he’s been sick but now he seems much better.”
Castro didn’t speak at the event on Saturday night, but in a letter published by state media, he thanked well-wishers for their support and criticised US President Barack Obama who visited Cuba in March. Many Cubans feel Fidel is out of step with the times, that his brother’s more pragmatic approach is serving Cuba well, but these celebrations show just how much Cubans still revere the man who freed their country from US domination.
Difficult words: former (-ex), gala (a special event), delighted (very happy), animated (full of life), out of step (very different from other people), pragmatic (practical), revere (feel deep respect or admiration for), domination (power, control).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.