FIFA’s Sepp Blatter Resigns – level 3
Sepp Blatter has resigned as FIFA president in the face of a corruption investigation that has plunged world soccer’s governing body into the worst crisis in its history. Blatter, who is 79, announced the decision at a news conference in Zurich, six days after the FBI raided a hotel in the city and arrested several FIFA officials, and just four days after he was re-elected to a fifth term as president.
“Thank you so much that you are here, the interest is flowing this wonderful day today, it was a big congress and we have the same president, I am a happy man, thank you.”
FIFA, which has been ruled over by Blatter since 1998, was rocked this week by the announcement of a US-led investigation into alleged widespread financial wrongdoing stretching back for years. Swiss authorities mounted their own criminal probe into the award of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar, respectively.
While Blatter was not mentioned in either the U.S. or Swiss investigations, there were widespread calls for him to quit, mostly from Western nations. Some major sponsors also expressed misgivings about the impact of the scandal.
Blatter said an election to choose a new FIFA president would be held as soon as possible.
Difficult words: plunge (to do something bad), announce (to say something officially), raid (attack), official (a person in the position of authority), mount (to set up), probe (an investigation), respectively (in the same order as the things you have just mentioned), widespread (over a far area).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.