Fight for Alaska Oil – level 3
The US president Donald Trump is rushing to auction drilling rights in the US Arctic National Wildlife Refuge before the inauguration of president-elect, Joe Biden.
Biden has promised to block oil exploration in the rough Alaska wilderness, and he has committed to permanently protect the refuge. He said that there would be a big disaster, with environmentalists claiming that Arctic oil development imperils one of the country’s last truly wild places. A strip of northeast Alaska is populated by polar bears, caribou, and more than 200 species of birds.
However, if the Trump administration sells drilling rights first, it could be complicated to stop the process. Formally issued drilling and gas leases on federal land are government contracts and they cannot be easily removed.
Difficult words: inauguration (when someone officially starts his job), refuge (a protected place), imperil (to put at risk), caribou (a large North American reindeer).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos