Fights in Palestine – level 3
Young Palestinians have clashed with Israeli soldiers, who fired tear gas in response to stone throwing and setting fire to trees and tyres, outside an Israeli military base on Wednesday morning.
Palestinian youths set up barricades across a road leading to the base, setting alight to tyres and other materials.
The protest came after at least 20 people were killed across Gaza on Tuesday, by what Israel said may be just the start of a lengthy offensive against Islamist militants.
At least two rockets fired from the Gaza Strip at Tel Aviv on Wednesday were shot down mid-air by Israel’s Iron Dome defence system.
Israelis sitting in local cafes can be seen taking cover as air-raid sirens went off.
Israel says that Hamas Islamists in Gaza have dozens of long-range rockets capable of striking deeper into Israel than ever before.
Difficult words: clash (fight), barricades (temporary walls to block things or people), lengthy (long), air-raid siren (sound that warns of danger).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.