Fiji’s First Medal – level 2
The Pacific nation of Fiji won its first Olympic medal in Men’s Rugby. The team did an amazing job. It beat Great Britain 43-7 and prompted Fiji’s prime minister to declare a public holiday.
Crowds of people came to bars, shopping centres and the national stadium to watch the match. Everyone was ecstatic when the team won.
A British Coach trained the team. He spoke about the team and how happy he was that he could help them win.
Difficult words: prompt (make), declare (formally say that something is now true), ecstatic (extremely happy).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.