Filipinos celebrate Easter – level 2
Holy Thursday, also known as Maundy Thursday, is a very unusual celebration for some male Catholics in the Philippines.
Worshipers walk through the streets and they beat themselves with chains and whips. Other participants hit them with wooden sticks while they lay on the ground and pray. The men believe that God will forgive them after this painful ritual.
Some people criticize the ritual as old and painful, and it can have a bad impact on a person’s mental health. The Church also said that it wasn’t necessary to suffer because Christ already suffered for people. But for many Filipino Catholics, the ritual is a part of who they are.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What beliefs and traditions do Filipino Catholics practice to honor Holy Thursday?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.