Finland and Sweden in NATO – level 2
When Russia attacked Ukraine in February, some European countries considered joining NATO.
The Finnish president said that Finland would apply, and Sweden’s officials said that the country needed to make policy changes to join. Sweden will be the only Nordic country that isn’t a member of NATO if it doesn’t join. Norway, Denmark, and Iceland have been members of NATO since its start.
The process to become a member of NATO can take one year because all NATO countries must agree. Some countries already said that they would work faster.
Finland and Sweden asked NATO for protection while they wait to become members. Turkey and Russia said that they didn’t agree.
Difficult words: policy (the ideas and plans of a government or business), Nordic (relating to Northern Europe), protection (a service to keep something safe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos