Finland joins NATO – level 2
Since 1945, Finland wasn’t part of any alliance, but when Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022, the country changed its policy.
Since February last year, Finland wanted to join NATO to be protected from possible attacks from Russia. The NATO Collective Defense Pact says that if an attack on one NATO member happens, it is an attack on all. On Tuesday, Finland joined NATO, which almost doubled NATO’s border with Russia. Finnish officials said that joining NATO would make the country safer. They also said that they wanted their good neighbor Sweden to join the military alliance, too.
In a reaction, Russia said that it would increase its military activity in the northwest and that the fact that Finland joined NATO could escalate the conflict in Ukraine.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What potential impact would Finland joining NATO have on Russia’s military activity in the northwest?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.