Finnish Sauna – level 2
UNESCO is an organization that makes a list of cultural heritages in all the world. It helps protect these places and traditions. In 2020, UNESCO added 35 things on the list, including Finland’s sauna.
The sauna is the most important part of Finnish culture, and people started to use it thousands of years ago. There are about three million saunas in the country, and a Finnish person uses a sauna at least once a week. The sauna is not only about bathing. It makes people healthier and it helps them relax.
Other things that UNESCO included on its list in 2020 were, for example, Czech handmade glass products, Japanese wooden art and South Korea’s light festival.
Difficult words: heritage (something that comes from the past and it is a part of a nation’s culture or history), bathing (the activity when you take a bath or clean yourself in a bath), include (to make something a part of something else), handmade (something that people make by hand, not by machine).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos