Fire at a show in India – level 3
This is the moment dancers performing at a cultural event in Mumbai realized the stage beneath them had set on fire. The huge blaze quickly engulfed the venue of the event that was being held at the opening of ‘Make in India’ week. It quickly spread, fanned by high winds licking the sides of the scaffolding rig and lighting up the night sky.
Thousands of spectators, among them dignitaries, were evacuated to safety. There were no reports of fatalities and no one was reported to be badly injured.
The fire brigade rushed to the scene and the blaze was brought under control.
Difficult words: huge (very big), blaze (a big fire), engulf (to cover), venue (the place where an event takes place), scaffolding rig (tall pieces of wood that hold up lights), spectator (a person who is watching a performance), dignitary (a person who is important), fatality (a death), rush (to move quickly).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos