Fire at South African parliament – level 1
A fire starts in the parliament building in Cape Town, South Africa. The fire happens on Sunday. People inside the building do not know. The fire alarm starts when firefighters are already at the building.
It is not easy to stop the fire. It takes firefighters several hours. The fire gets to more buildings. The fire burns all of one floor. The roof of another building falls down. Luckily, all the people are safe. Then, the fire starts again.
A funeral happens in a large church near the parliament. It is one day before the fire. Desmond Tutu dies. The funeral is for Desmond Tutu.
He is a bishop. He is an activist. An activist fights for people. He fights for Black people. He is very popular. People all over the world know him.
Difficult words: parliament (a government with several groups that work together), fire alarm (a device which makes a loud noise when there is a fire in a building), bishop (a person who takes care of churches in an area).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.