Fire at South African parliament – level 2
On Sunday, there was a fire in the South African parliament in Cape Town.
It was not clear where the fire started because several buildings were part of the parliament. The people inside did not know that there was a fire, because the fire alarm rang only when firefighters were already there. The fire destroyed all of one floor, and a roof fell down. Luckily, nobody was hurt.
It took firefighters several hours to control the fire. When they thought they put it out, it reignited.
The event shocked everyone, as it happened only one day after the funeral of bishop Desmond Tutu. The funeral happened in the nearby St. George’s Cathedral.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.