Fire at South African parliament – level 3
On Sunday, a fire in the South African parliament in Cape Town, caused extensive damage to the buildings, with a roof collapsing and an entire floor gutted.
Firefighters attacked the blaze for several hours, and by mid-morning, the smoke started to fade. President Cyril Ramaphosa said that the parliament’s work would continue and that one person was being questioned about the fire.
The parliamentary area, some of which dates back to 1884, has a cluster of buildings, and the fire’s cause wasn´t immediately known. The building’s fire alarm only rang when firefighters were already there.
The disaster came only one day after the late archbishop Desmond Tutu´s funeral at St. George’s Cathedral, close to where the fire happened.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.