Fire in a Chile slum – level 3
At least one hundred homes burned, and 400 people were homeless on Monday after a fire exploded in a slum in the city of Iquique, northern Chile.
The fire spread quickly in the poverty-stricken slum, jumping from house to house due to the narrow streets. Many of the destroyed homes were built in an irregular urban design, which made it difficult for firefighters to control the blaze. The shanty town’s water supply was stopped, and authorities set up shelters for the 280 families affected by the fire.
Firefighters had to get to the neighborhood on foot, slowing their efforts to reduce the damage. An authority for the Tamarugal province said that firefighters had extinguished the fire on Monday night.
Difficult words: slum (an overcrowded urban area inhabited by very poor people), poverty-stricken (the situation of being very poor), shanty (poorly made).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos