Fire in Dubai – level 3
A fire has broken out in Dubai at a building close to the world’s tallest skyscraper. This video emerged showing the Address Downtown Dubai Hotel engulfed in flames.
The building that hosts the five-star hotel is 302 metres tall. The fire erupted as Dubai prepares to hold a major New Year’s Eve fireworks display. It is yet unclear if the two things are connected.
Burning debris could be seen falling from the building and fire fighters have arrived at the scene and said it is under control.
It is not immediately clear whether there have been any casualties or what caused the blaze.
Difficult words: emerge (to appear), be engulfed in (to be surrounded), debris (pieces of something after an accident), blaze (a big fire).
What do you think about this fire in Dubai?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.