Fire in Manila – level 1
In Manila, Philippines, there is a hotel and casino. A fire starts there. The fire kills four people. It traps other people.
Three hundred guests have to evacuate. Helicopters help save some people.
One woman says that she thinks that the fire starts at the ground floor. Then the fire quickly moves and grows.
Police want to know where the fire starts. They do not know if it starts in the casino. They do not know if it starts in an area that is under construction.
Difficult words: trap (when something stops you from leaving), evacuate (leave a place for safety), ground floor (the floor that touches the ground in a building), under construction (when people are still building something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.