Fire in Rome – level 2
A landfill site in north-eastern Rome got on fire and it quickly spread. Firefighters tried to control the fire and stop the toxic fumes from getting over the city.
People were told to keep the windows closed and not to eat locally grown food. People were worried about the waste collection, so the city called an emergency meeting.
Difficult words: landfill site (a site/place where people bury waste materials), spread (grow), fume (a gas or smoke).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos