Fire on a Chinese bus – level 3
Chinese police have released this surveillance footage showing the chaotic scene when a fire broke out on a bus packed with people.
The footage shows a man in a light-coloured shirt pouring oil onto the floor of the bus and then setting it alight.
After investigating, police found that the arsonist used banana oil to start the fire but are still checking his identity.
The fire broke out at around 5 p.m. on Saturday when the bus filled with about eighty people was going through downtown Hangzhou. Thirty-two passengers were injured, 16 severely and are being treated in hospital. Fourteen out of the 16 severely injured people suffered burns to their faces and two suffered burns to more than ninety per cent of their bodies. Five others suffered burns of varying degrees to more than 50 per cent if their bodies. The arsonist is also receiving treatment in hospital.
Difficult words: surveillance footage (security camera video), packed (full of), alight (on fire), arsonist (somebody who starts fire), severely (very), degree (amount).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos