Fired Because of Shoes – level 1
This news is from England. A woman comes to work. She wears flat shoes. Her bosses do not like that. They want high heels. They fire the woman.
She is very upset. She starts a petition. 30,000 people sign the petition.
Difficult words: heel (the part of the shoe which is under the back of your foot), fire (to tell to never come to work again), petition (a text which says that you do not like something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos