Fired Because of Shoes – level 2
Bosses fired a woman from England for turning up to work wearing flat shoes. She started a petition, which 30,000 people already signed.
The woman said that she was very upset. She said that high heels can damage the body, and that there is a sexual element to them. She said that there is not such a problem with a shirt and tie for a man. She added that also, this is not just about heels, but a women’s rights issue.
Difficult words: turn up (to come), element (a thing, a feeling, a tone), issue (a problem).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.