Firefighters save a dog – level 3
A dog was resuscitated by medics after being found by firefighters, as they were tackling a blaze in Chile.
The fire is said to have broken out at around 4 pm on Monday, from the 12th floor of an old block of flats in the capital of Santiago. Among the victims of the blaze was an unconscious dog which was found by fire-fighters in one of the burning flats. It had collapsed due to smoke inhalation. Medics who were part of the Santiago Fire Department resuscitated the dog with the help of an oxygen mask.
Ten fire crews attended the fire which started to come under control about 2.5 hours later.
The dog, who suffered a few burns, was treated for its injuries and has now been reunited with its owners where he’s reportedly recuperating nicely.
Difficult words: resuscitate (make somebody breathe again), tackle (deal with a difficult problem), block (a group of buildings), blaze (fire), unconscious (not able to see, move or feel), reunite (be together again), recuperate (recover).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos