Firefighters save a man – level 3
This is the moment a firefighter disposed of a flaming gas tank ignited by a man who was trying to kill himself in a basement.
In the Chinese city of Dalian, firefighters found the man releasing gas from the tank and threatening to light it when they arrived.
The firefighters broke into the basement and found the gas tank already on fire. They immediately rushed to the tank, carried it out of the building and discarded it on an empty lawn.
“The rampaging arsonist claimed he would hurt himself with an axe and hammer in his hands. He was going to rush out of the room. It was a dangerous situation.”
Luckily, no casualties occurred and the arsonist remains under arrest by police.
Difficult words: dispose of (to get rid of something), ignite (set on fire), discard (to get rid of something), rampaging (angry and dangerous), arsonist (somebody who illegally sets things on fire), claim (say), rush (move quickly), casualties (somebody who is hurt or killed in an accident).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos