Fires and Hurricanes – level 1
In the US, fires burn in the west. Also, hurricanes hit the east. However, extreme weather is more and more usual in all of the world.
Scientist think that human activity brings more extreme weather. The planet is getting warmer.
A study finds that people are responsible for 97% of fires in the US. Warmer temperatures mean more fires. The fires start very easily. They are bigger. It is harder to stop them.
Warmer temperatures also make more hurricanes. The hurricanes are stronger. It is more common that they get the land. They break up houses. They kill people, too. Scientists expect more hurricanes this year. The hurricane season ends on November 30th.
Difficult words: extreme (very unusual), human activity (what people do), hurricane (a strong storm that starts in the ocean and comes to the land).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos