Fireworks factory explodes – level 3
A fireworks factory in Colombia has gone up in flames, causing huge explosions.
It’s thought the fireworks factory just outside Bogota exploded after gunpowder was set off inside, but despite the huge impact, sending a camera man from a local TV station off his feet, no one was seriously hurt. One man suffered minor injuries after flying debris hit him in the arm.
One witness described the moment as terrifying and an experience she never wanted again.
“It was terrible. It was chaotic. We felt the vibrations. I just took my daughters out of the house and ran. We were pushed by the vibrations. It was terrible – something I never want to go through again.”
It took a team of about thirty firefighters more than 6 hours to fully control the blaze, making sure no more gunpowder would be set off.
Several homes were damaged in the explosion and the blast shut down traffic in both directions on a highway.
Investigators are looking into what may have caused the huge explosion and have not ruled out foul play.
Difficult words: huge (very big), impact (the effect of something), minor (small), debris (small pieces of something which has been destroyed), chaotic (when a lot of things happen at one time and without reasons), vibration (a shaking motion), blaze (a fire), blast (an explosion), shut down (to stop), look into (to investigate), foul play (criminal activity).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.