First electric plane – level 2
US company Eviation made the first-ever fully electric plane. Last week, the plane called Alice took off, and the first flight lasted eight minutes.
The plane can carry nine passengers and two pilots. 21,500 small batteries power the flight. They weigh 4 tonnes which are a half the weight of the plane. Eviation hopes to charge the batteries in 30 minutes for an hour-long flight.
The technology is very new. Eviation says that its planes will make no gases at all. The plane is also much quieter than normal planes, and it is a lot cheaper to run.
People do not know if electric planes will become a common way of travel, as the technology is very expensive.
Difficult words: charge (to store electrical energy in a battery), technology (methods and devices), common (usual).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos